Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Massacre Sample(non ffxi story n 2nd novel)

Starr looked down at her hands as the warm summer air blew her hair all around. It was getting dark fast and she sat back and wondered where the day had gone. She had her red hair tied into a ponytail and focused her brown eyes onto her friend David. He gave her a stupid grin before she punched him playfully. She was done with her first year of college and couldn’t wait to start hanging out with her friends again and David was one of the closest she’s had. His brown skin shone in the last bit of daylight as he sat on her steps. He had known her since he moved to Cumberland, Maryland. It wasn’t his decision, his mother nearly forced his hand but there wasn’t anything that he or his siblings could do. He had met Starr in high school, but he decided to take the working man’s route and postpone college for a year, Starr on the other hand went right after she graduated causing them to never really hang out based upon their hectic schedules. It was a perfect day, except in the back of Starr’s mind she was worried about her friend Derek. He was her best friend if you can call him that, he had been extremely stressed the past couple of days and she wanted hear his voice, she always had a way to calm him down. But Derek hadn’t called her like he swore he would have, and the last time she spoke to him was last night and she could hear the anger gravitating out of his voice. She worried sick about him, him and his girlfriend were going back and forth with arguing and he feared he would lose her. She meant to him his life and without her he felt no point in living. “Starr.” David called to bring her back to reality. She had finally focused her brown eyes onto him. “Yeah.” She replied softly. “You’re fucking up.” David joked, that was like his catchphrase. She held her head up and looked up at the clouds above her head, she whispered a silent prayer for her friend.

“I’ve got to go home.” David replied after a hour had went by. He had done his catching up with her and he hugged her tiny frame tightly before turned and walking down the stairs. She had watched him walk around the corner before she turned and went into her house. She felt like she hadn’t ate in weeks, stress will really do a number on you. She dragged her feet towards the kitchen and she rifled through the fridge. Pulling out lunchmeat and bread she decided to make a ham sandwich, watch a movie and call it a night. Hopefully Derek will call to let her know he was alright. She had known him for years and they have grown really close to each other, he considered her his best friend in the whole world. She understood him and they always had fun when they were together. Her mother was at work, and she wondered how late she was going to be out, she didn’t mind being home alone but she wished she had some sort of company. She held the butter knife in her hand as she smoothed the mayonnaise over the bread before neatly placing the ham on top of it. She heard her doorbell buzz and she jumped, she laughed a bit to herself before yelling “Who is it?” She sat the knife down and awaited an answer. She expected to walk to the door and see his skinny frame there, with his black hair spiked on the top. She looked out the window but Derek’s car wasn’t present. The doorbell buzzed again and she opened the door and stared at the person on the other side. “Hey.” She opened the screen door and hugged her. “What brings you here?” Starr had to question, she hadn’t seen her friend Chelsey all week. Chelsey stood there with her blond hair hanging down over her face. Hurt was the look that her green eyes had shown. With the saddened look on her face Starr began to worry. Chelsey was a coworker’s of Derek, so she figured it was something about him. She had known Chelsey for quite some time but they never really hung out all that much. But in this little town everyone is your friend. “Can I come in?” Chelsey finally opened up and asked. Starr stood back and let the door swing open and Chelsey stepped inside. Once inside the living room Chelsey found the nearest sofa to plop down on and then she buried her face into her hands. Starr stood on the other side of the living room looking at her, waiting on her to speak what was on her mind. “It’s Derek.” She began and Starr felt her heart sink into the bottom of her stomach.

She tried to get a grip on what Chelsey told her but all she could think about was throwing up. She couldn’t have lost him, not him, not her best friend. How could someone who seemed so strong do something as weak as take his own life. She let her head bang off of the wall as tears made their way down her cheek. Chelsey walked over towards her and she cried also, they rocked and cried together. Chelsey looked into her eyes as she rocked back and forth. “Police say he burned himself to death.” “Set gasoline all over his room and lit a match.” Chelsey went on. “When they got to the body it was burned so badly.” Chelsey went on before Starr held her hand up to silence her. “I guess he lost it and ended all his pain.” She remembered as her tears streamed down her face. Chelsey looked over at her but couldn’t think of anything to say, she was close to Derek and he was the main guy at work she talked to. “I can’t believe this.” Chelsey finally broke the silence. Starr forced herself to stand as she went into the kitchen, she poured herself and Chelsey a glass of water. With the glasses in her hand she walked back into the living room and the mood was very depressive. “Who called the police?” Starr asked as she handed Chelsey the glass. Chelsey’s green eyes began to shine as the light from the ceiling reflected off of them. “Do you know?” Starr asked before Chelsey could even reply. “His friend found the body..” She said as she took a sip from her glass, she sat it on the table next to her. “He was downstairs in the house and he heard an explosion.” Chelsey replied. Starr looked at her puzzled. “Police said his friend rushed upstairs and was greeted by flames so he ran downstairs and out the door. That’s when he called the fire department crying.” Chelsey finished. Starr thought long and hard as the mental images cast inside her head and what happened played out in her mind. She mentally pictured Derek spraying gasoline over everything even over himself. She winced at the thought. Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang. “Hello.” She answered it, she awaited the person on the other end to say something. She listened closely and all she could hear was light sobs. “Hello.” Starr repeated herself, she gave the person on the other end a chance to reply. She could still hear the muffled tears as the phone was taken away from the persons mouth. She heard them blow their nose and she made a disgusted face. “Starr?” The voiced cried out and Starr wondered where she had heard that voice from. “Who is this?” Starr asked, she motioned for Chelsey to be quiet. “It’s Autumn, Derek’s ex-girlfriend.” When Starr heard the word Ex she figured she knew what drove Derek over the edge. He was nuts about her and she broke up with him. She almost wanted to hang up the phone on her but she didn’t. “Are you there?” Autumn asked when Starr didn’t say anything. She could still hear Autumn sobbing into the phone. “Yeah I’m here.” Starr asked as she pushed a button and the phone went into speaker mode. Chelsey looked on puzzled. “Have you heard about…” Autumn began before she broke down again. Her reaction made Chelsey cry some more. “I just can’t believe he’s gone.” Starr said loud enough so she can hear her. She was getting lost in her own little world. Her alternate reality where she didn’t hear the grim news that just made her whole life suck. Autumn had ceased her crying a bit and told Starr to listen closely. “I know I don’t believe Derek would be so little and kill himself, but he sent me a email.” Autumn said and a chill ran up Starr’s spine. Chelsey’s eyes grew big and wide as she waited for Autumn to speak again. “A email?” Starr asked as she looked over at her computer. The screensaver bounced over the screen back and forth. “Yes.” Autumn said and Starr put her attention back to her. “He sent it to me and you, it sounds like a suicide note.” Autumn said and Starr stared at the computer. Chelsey played with her fingers while sitting on the couch. Autumn sat on the other end and awaited Starr to say something. “Read it.” Chelsey blurted out. “Who’s there.” Autumn sounded shocked when she heard another voice in the background. “Just Derek’s friend Chelsey, she told me what happened.” Starr replied as she pulled the chair underneath the computer desk out and sat in it. She typed in the password to unlock the computer and waited for it to boot up. “How is his mother taking it?” Starr asked as her hand gripped the mouse. “She’s been devastated.” Autumn gave the response Starr knew she was going to hear. “Are you going to check your email?” Autumn asked. “Doing it now.” Starr replied as she clicked on the mailbox icon. “Call me back, the police are on the other line.” Autumn said before they heard the dial tone. Chelsey dreaded getting up but she took her place behind Starr, she wanted to see what this note had said. Starr’s eyes wearily looked over the screen until her face lit up and she saw the new message from Derek Twine. She turned to look back at Chelsey before she got up out of her seat and walked across the room. “I don’t want to read it.” Starr refused. Getting a grip on the fact that Derek killed himself was one thing, but reading a note telling her he was going to do it was too much in her eyes. “You got to know what it says.” Chelsey said as she took a seat in the chair, before Starr could object she clicked the mouse and the email opened.

Why is the world such a dark and lonely place, where no one is ever good enough no matter how much they change or how much right they do? Why is it that when you find true happiness the world only seems to crash and shatter around you? People react different to you, smile in your face and stab you behind your back the first chance they can. Well I’m sick of acting like life doesn’t get me down. My grandmother is sick and dying, but she’s still the most joyous person I know. My dad and I are no longer on speaking terms and I just lost my girlfriend Autumn, the one girl who seemed to soothe every ache in my body with just her touch. If you love something, despite how the saying goes, you should never let it go. They say that Karma is a bitch depending on how you treat her. At times I sat up at night and wondered is this life even worth living. My job walks over me and treats me like shit, I get yelled at for everything I do, nothing is ever good enough. I’ve never gotten so much as a good job Derek. I am thankful for my true friends, those who have yet to turn their back on me, but what else do I have to go on for? How much longer until they bite me also? Before I go there are some people who I have to give an honorable mention to. Autumn. I love you, I have loved you through out thick and thin, through happy times and sad. I figured we were destined to be married but you dumped me. I would have giving it all to you, but you just didn’t want to have it. Instead you accused me of doing everything possible, even cheating. I have never and I would never cheat on you, but that doesn’t matter anymore because you told me I don’t matter anymore. Your mind was made up, and so is mine. I don’t matter to you and nothing else matters to me. May my blood rest on your conscience. You took everything away from me, you held the key to my joy and my pain. You’ve scarred me badly, now I hope my death scars you. Starr. How are you doing buddy, I’m sorry that we have to end on these terms, just know that I respect your friendship and you’ve helped me through everything. But I’m sorry babe, sorry that you cant help me through this. You’ve never experienced pain like this before and I hope you never do. Head up and don’t feel bad, all good things come to an end sooner of later. We’ve had a good run and your still my best buddy. I don’t want you to think any less of me, but this has to be done, I have no motive to go on any further. I love you buddy, now and until the end of time. And to anyone else out there who decided to kick me while I was down, realize that we are all humans, we make mistakes and we shouldn’t be punished so extremely for them. They say that things that go around usually tend to come back around and for all the pain you all caused me I hope I see you in hell sometime. Sincerely Derek. Twine.

Chelsey sat in silence as the note sent goosebumps down her spine. She wanted Starr to say something but she didn’t say anything, she just held her head down and whimpered. She let the pillows absorb her tears and her body twitched as coughs escaped her throat. She felt like she needed to vomit. She leaped off the couch and made her way to the back of the house where the bathroom was located. She dropped to her knees and stuck her head over the toilet, she felt the vomit rise through the pit of her stomach before it exited her mouth. Chelsey ran behind her, grabbing a towel off the rack and handing it to her. “He blamed Autumn for his death.” Chelsey spoke as Starr dry heaved. “That has got to be a tough weight on anyone’s shoulders.” Chelsey continued to blabber on. Starr heaved and heaved until spit dripped down onto her chin, with the towel in her hand she wiped it up. She gripped the toilet seat and hoisted herself to her feet. Chelsey patted her on her back as she walked back into the living room. “That was harsh.” Chelsey continued. “That was just plain nasty.” Starr corrected her. “Poor Autumn.” Starr finished as she plopped down on the couch.

No comments: